Sunday, July 29, 2012

Weight Loss When You Eat the Wrong Stuff

It has been a few days since I had the strength at the end of the day to actually write. I know I overdid it on the exercise earlier this week because by Thursday walking was beyond painful. My feet were swollen so I had to wear sandals to work since they would not fit in my tennis shoes. That might sound reversed; it would seem I would always wear the dressier shoe to work but my feet are so bad that wearing sandals for the day can easily throw me into a sleepless night of massive bone pain and foot cramps. I didn't walk a lot. I took lunch with me and I stayed at my desk most of the day only getting up to go to the bathroom. I guess the swelling and extra fluid prompted my body to want me to flush it out because Thursday and Friday both I was constantly thirsty.

My Thursday morning weight was .7 lbs lighter than Wednesday. I really thought it would have been even less but with the feet swelling I am lucky to have recorded a loss at all. Even though I did no walked on Thursday other than the routine stuff, I did stay on track with me food intake and drank more than 80 ounces of water. My Friday morning weight was a tenth of a pound higher than Thursday.

Friday I had a prepackaged Cesear salad for lunch. Even though the package said it was 230 calories, the sodium count must have been high. I did not even finish it because it was just to salty to eat. I had another salad on Friday night because we were out and had to grab something to eat on the run. My best choice was an Apple Pecan Chicken salad from Wendy's. I got the half size and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was only 170 calories. The dressing they offer would have added another 60 calories and they forgot to give me the pecans so I did not have to  count those extra calories or fat. I added a little balsamic dressing to the salad but again, it just seemed so salty. I think this "everything tastes salty" stage was telling me I was dehydrated, though I can't figure out how since I was drinking so much. Thankfully the swelling in my foot was decreasing so at least the fluid was not mounting there.

I thought with two salads and a protein breakfast I would have at least held a steady weight on Saturday morning but I was wrong,  I gained .8 lbs. Things like this make no sense to me but it could be anything that causes that small of a gain I suppose.

I started off Saturday thinking I needed to get myself back on track walking wise or get in the pool. My feet instantly said no to the pool in the a.m. because it was cold. My toes cramped up almost immediately and  I could not work them out to release without getting out of the water. I thought I would get back in as the heat of the day rose but the lightning storms rolled through ruling that out. By last night, I ached all over so for the third day in a row, I skipped exercise and went to bed. To top off the fact that I could not get myself to the exercise mode, for the first time since setting this goal and changing how I eat, I went off the deep end food wise. Maybe it was the pain, maybe the boredom, or maybe just a weakness over the sugar cravings. In addition to munching on dried mangoes(dried with honey on them) all day long, I caved in and had my first ice cream in a couple of months. Sadly it was not even that good so I don't know why I finished the bowl. I fully expected after gaining from eating salads the day before, this step would put me up multiple pounds. Strangely enough, when I stepped on the scale this morning, I was exactly the same as yesterday.

So my first weight of the day as of July 29, 2012 is 201.5.

Today when I woke up, my entire body hurt. I started to just stay in bed but I know from having had a Psoriatic Arthritis flare this bad before that laying in bed just makes it worse. So I got up, started the coffee and listened to the news. Weather forecast said heat index of 103 today and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Since the swelling in my feet had gone down, I decided if I planned to walk, I had better get it done. So I started the day with a 1.5 mile walks. I took it slow and did not even consider the longer route. I came home and cut the back yard using the riding mower and then did some raking. Later in the afternoon, I took my granddaughter shopping. All total, my fitbit says I walked 6.5 miles today. Thankfully it was spread over the day and my feet are not yelling as loud as the other days. Hopefully tomorrow gets me back to a normal pain threshold.

I'd love to see the scale tomorrow show at least a 1.5 lb loss and show me the 200 or below numbers. I am not holding my breath through. Even though what I have eaten doesn't come close to the calories I have burned, I know from experience that means nothing to my body.

//k//

No comments:

Post a Comment